Visa, Registration & Work Permits

  • Check whether you'll be allowed to live and work in Switzerland

Video © 'Welcome To Switzerland'

Living and Working in Switzerland

Immigration Requirements

EU/EFTA citizens with a local permanent employment contract do not need to apply for a visa. To receive a work/residence permit, register with the Swiss immigration authorities upon arrival. As the registration process varies by canton, ask the town hall in the commune of your future home which authorities you should contact

Non-EU/EFTA citizens require a work authorisation and a visa. These must be obtained prior to leaving your home country

Non-EU/EFTA citizens over 18 planning to stay in Switzerland more than 1 year will be required to provide a copy of their criminal record (or a confirmation that they do not have one) from the police or justice authorities in their home country

Preparing for immigration

Gather certified copies of all standard immigration documents:

How-to Guides and Individual Services

0 / 1 Tasks done